13 Dec 2013

NEWS: Photographer Wins $1.2 Million Lawsuit Over Images Taken From Twitter

From Mashable.com:

Photographer Wins $1.2 Million Lawsuit Over Images Taken From Twitter


With an endless amount of photos floating around on Twitter, it's easy to find images of almost anything. But this large social-media bank of seemingly free-to-share photos can also lead to issues regarding ownership and copyright infringement.

A New York jury delivered a landmark decision on Friday when it sided with freelance photographer Daniel Morel after he sued Getty Images and Agence France-Presse for using photos that he posted on Twitter without his permission. Morel won $1.2 million for the unauthorized use of his images.

Click here to read more.

2 comments:

  1. Good for them. Stealing photos is despicable, specially when it is made by a big corporation.

    One guy had an interesting point: posting a photo on social media may probably be reposted, but not used for profit. This is a totally different ballgame.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, and I'm always thrilled when these corporate leeches get screwed over a bit themselves. I have no problem with someone sharing my pics via social media as long as they don't try and sell it or otherwise make money from it.

      I once got approached by a non-profit organisation that asked if they could use one of my pics on their website (with attribution) and I was very happy to help. They are doing great work and I see it as "doing my bit" on a small scale.

      I have also been approached by companies wanting to use my pics without charge for the "exposure" and I told them to take a long hike...
      :-)

      Delete