21 Sept 2013

DxO FilmPack 3 Essential - Tested

This morning I posted a link to the DxO website where they were offering a free license for DxO FilmPack 3 Essential. Since then I installed it and in use it looks like this:

Screen Shot of DxO FilmPack 3 Essential in use.

It is very easy to use and does what it is advertised to do. It makes digital photographs emulate various types of film, and it does it quickly and with the minimum of fuss. The film purists will no doubt scoff and say that none of these look anything like the results you can get from simply using real film and having it processed the original way. I agree. I also think real film has a look of it's own and the results from programs like this don't quite match up... but then these sort of programs are also simpler, faster, and cheaper than shooting film in our modern world. This topic can lead in a whole other direction very quickly, so I will leave it at that and move quickly on by showing what DxO FilmPack 3 Essential can do.

I used an informal portrait of two people I shot a few years back and ran it through DxO FilmPack 3 Essential implementing several of their different filters which I am posting below. First the original for reference, followed by the various results:

Informal Portrait of Two People - unprocessed by DxO FilmPack 3 Essential.


Generic Fuji Provia 100


Kodak Ektachrome 100 VS


Kodak Kodachrome 64


Cross Processed - Kodak Elite 100


Cross Processed - Fuji Superia 200


Kodak Tri-X 400


Ilford Pan F Plus 50


Kodak T-Max 3200


Rollei IP 400
All in all I think that the results are very acceptable and certainly DxO FilmPack 3 Essential is worth the download, so if you don't have it yet please go to my original post from this morning, click on the link and download it! Hey, it's FREE, how can you possibly go wrong? :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment